Wednesday 28 January 2015

Oh my Obelisk 11.4mile trail run, 1,448 ft of ascent, 1st event

11 January 2015

First event.  Winter morning dawned cool but dry.  Good running weather.  Fuelled up on porridge and honey, some of which was donated to my 2 and a half year after he’d woofed down his 2 weetabix, then pointed to my bowl and demanded “Dad’s”.  

This race is essentially a 5.5 mile undulating climb, a vaguely flat half mile at the top section around an Obelisk in Haldon Woods followed by a 5 mile undulating descent.  The vast majority is on footpaths or fields, which I find more interesting than road running.

We were a little later arriving at Dawlish Leisure Centre than I was expecting which meant that we couldn't park close to the start.  My son Tom was excited by the atmosphere and I ended up carrying him to the playing field at a trotting pace, as the runners lined up, my wife Rachel calling for me to wait for her to catch up so that I could hand Tom over.  We started quickly and the little fella was genuinely gutted not to be taking part.  Still, he did have fun on the park nearby.  One day...

After a lap of the playing field, we descended a sharp bank after which my friend Harvey pulled up for a time with an injury.  I learned later that he'd made it round slowly which was a feat in itself.

There was 218ft of climb between miles 1 and 2 after which I got a little boxed in on the overgrown bridleways.  Later on the course opened out on to a road and a relentless 411 ft climb over a half mile road section.  This is where I found cycling helps.  This is partly in terms of mental strength - a hill on a bike could last for miles and take a long time.  You can achieve a lot by holding a regular rhythm.  Cycling also helps though in terms of developing climbing muscles.  I managed to overtake a few people on this second hill and have enough breath to encourage them upwards.

Into Haldon Woods and zig zagging along until you reach the Obelisk and panoramic views toward the Dawlish coast.  Shame you can't stop to admire them or take a photo, but this isn't a walk and you're soon past that stage.  Thanks to those who cheered runners on at the top.

Then on to the downhill where I can leg it if running on a road (my running club nickname is Downhill Dilley), but am a bit tentative off road and could hear others crashing through the undergrowth and getting closer.

Towards the finish it was a joy to hear Tom yell "Dad!" and it spurred me on to overtake a lady in the run up to the finishing line.  I felt a bit mean as I don't think she heard me coming and it was too late when she did.  Only a bit mean mind.  Did I say I was competitive?

Event finished.  26th out of 115.  Not bad.  We get a goodie bag which includes a bright orange t-shirt.  I put it on Tom and he feels part of the scene - men ask what time he did.  It does look a bit silly as it comes down to his knees.  Poor guy.

On to the Mount Pleasant for a Sunday roast.  Tasted superb after all that exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment